The 2017 holiday advertising season is officially here. This year, the holiday season is expected to eclipse $100 billion in revenue for the first time ever. December is only days away, so if you're a small business owner now's the time to capitalize!
Customers get bombarded from all sides during this time of year. To cut through the noise, businesses have to provide creative, inspirational content—and we're here to help with 12 tricks for standing out on social media this holiday season!
1. Plan Ahead: Be proactive, set goals, create a budget and build a social media and marketing plan so you can go into the season one step ahead of your competitors.
2. Choose A Theme: Every company is going to be running holiday campaigns so you need to stand out and create a consistent story. Carry these themes out in both messaging and design.
3. Create A Content Calendar: Schedule things in advance during the holidays because things can get hectic. Here a some important dates to keep in mind:
Green Monday: Dec. 11th
Free Shipping Day: Dec. 15th-ish
Last-Day for Overnight Shipping: Dec. 21st
Boxing Day: Dec. 26th
4. Share In Real-Time: Planning ahead is recommended but also don't be afraid to leverage timely events like weather, stories & joyful holiday experiences.
5. Volunteer: There is lots of opportunity this time of year for businesses to give back to their community; not only will it feel good, it also makes for a great brand story this season.
6. Be Inclusive: Be extra thoughtful about your audience during this time of year because holidays usually involve religious or cultural significance.
7. Deals, Deals, Deals: 42% of holiday shoppers said "Sales & Discounts" were the most important factor when shopping online this holiday season. So share those deals they're searching for!
8. Get Personal: Stats and numbers are good, but stories are what people can relate to. Add a personal touch to your holiday campaign like hand written holiday cards, gift wrapping, or personalized gift recommendations!
9. Work Together: Know other small business owners? Team up with a cross promotion or just share what each business has to offer. Holiday gift purchasing is rarely a one-stop shopping trip, so best to work together!
10. Have Some Fun: Let go of your inner Scrooge, it's time to get in the holiday spirit. Did you ever see the Staples' Elf Yourself campaign? It's a perfect example of a business making the holiday season a little more entertaining.
11. Run A Contest Or Giveaway: Running a social media contest or giveaway is one way to give back to your followers. Utilize a personalized #hashtag to promote and share your contest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
12. Animate Your Holiday Creations: Video is extremely effective at providing a lot of information in a little time. In fact in a survey done by Tubular Insights, 73% of those surveyed said they are more likely to buy a product or sign up for a service if they watch a branded video that explains the product.